Falls From Height Blitz
A state wide compliance blitz has been announced in NSW to crackdown on construction businesses that fail to protect workers from the risks associated with working at heights. See the full media release.
SafeWork Inspectors will undertake a number of blitzes over the next 12 months and may issue an on-the-spot-fine of up to $3600.
Here are some things you can do to protect workers:
- Use a suitable working platform such as scaffolding, boom lifts or scissor lifts
- Provide adequate edge protection by using jump screens, scaffolding or guardrails - ensuring ALL components are in place;
- Ensure scaffolds are installed, regularly inspected and maintained by a competent person, and that a handover certificate is provided prior to use;
- Prevent unauthorised access to the scaffold while the scaffold is incomplete or unattended;
- Securely cover and visibly mark, or edge protect, all open penetrations in formwork or concrete slabs
- Provide workers with safe means of access and egress to work areas;
- Only use fall restraint or fall arrest systems when edge protection or work platforms are not reasonably practicable